2012年12月19日水曜日

Would I donate my child's organs?

Q.If you had a 5 year old child who had an accident and was officially diagnosed as brain dead, would you donate his or her own organs?
 
If I had a 5 years old child and he or she was diagnosed as brain dead, I would donate my child’s organ and my decision is based on two ideas. One of the ideas is what Shannon says “Consequentialism”, the idea which seeks the consequences that provide greatest good for greatest members. I did brief research on Wikipedia, and I found that most of brain dead patients do not live long and there are extremely few cases that recover from brain dead state, so that I think there would be almost no possibility that my child came to recover. Therefore, I think it would be better to donate my child’s organ to someone who has great possibility to have longer life and craves the organ to overcome one’s disease at the time. It would be so miserable to put an end to my child’s life, however, it grants future for others. Second idea is “Mind-body dualism” which was mentioned by Yonemoto. My outlook on life and death is relatively close to this idea. I think mind and body is separated, and body is just a container of spirits. Therefore, the body does not have to be complete. Based on these two ideaConsequentialism and Mind-body dualism, I would donate my brain-dead child’s organ.





(However after I donated my child's organs, I might be strongly annoyed by the fact that the patient who got organs from my child is still alive whereas my child has died... so complexed:(.... )

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿